When you decide to build a career on truck driving, you have to be passionate to become a successful driver. You need professional training with a good amount of skills to have a good command of steering. Besides, you need a proper guideline in the way of becoming a top truck driver.
Before choosing truck driving as a career the first question comes in mind that How much do truck drivers make? Or How much does a CDL Driver make? ATruck driver’s salary is not fixed at all. Salary depends on many factors like skills, professionalism, work efficiency, etc.
If you are intending to start a career as a truck driver. But confused about the earnings. Then this article will help you to clear all doubts and confusion.
How much does a CDL driver earn?
If you are professionally skilled and very much efficient in your duty then you can get a good amount of salary. A CDL driver earns more than a regular driver. The average salary for a CDL Driver is $50,000-$55,000 in the United States.
Salary estimates are based on the experience and skills of the driver. A professional truck driver has the opportunity to discover more through traveling. If you are a CDL driver with the required skills then you can make a good amount of money from trucking.
How truck drivers are paid?
The salary of a truck driver varies from several factors. If you are a professionally skilled driver then you will get a high salary. But if you are a newbie then you will be paid according to your performance. However, companies follow some common steps for paying drivers. These are-
- Pay by mileage: Truck drivers are paid on mileage. Rate doesn’t depend on hours or how long they work. Payment also varies depending on the experience of the driver. If you are an experienced top-level driver then companies will pay between $0.50 to $ 2 per mile because of the high demand for skilled truck drivers. Usually, most companies offer $0.27 to $0.40 per mile.
Truck drivers drive 2000 to 3000 miles per week. The odometer counts mile that makes it easier to estimate the money and help you to get your expected pay.
Sometimes drivers get bonuses because of the location, heavy load, or certifications. If you are enough skilled then you will get a good amount of salary due to high demand.
- Experience: The earing of a truck driver differs according to experience. If you are a trained skilled CDL driver, you can get a handsome amount of money. If you are a regular or a newbie then your salary will be less. But your effort will pay and hard work will help you to build up a good reputation as a good driver. It will help you to increase your rate per-mile and also improved benefits packages.
- Type of driving: Truck drivers are paid according to the style of driving. A Professional Truck Driving won’t stick to the same manner jobs. They change jobs according to their current needs. Similarly, the job rate also varies from carrier to carrier.
- Solo OTR Driver – Solo truck drivers get a huge amount of salary. Earning depends on the bonuses offered by their carrier. Solo OTR Driver averagely gets $40,000-$46,000 in their first year.
- Team OTR Driver – Team OTR driver also makes a good amount of money.By working in pairs, you can cover longer distances by dividing the work. Drivers can take the rest one by one by switching duty. Team OTR Driver pays up to $100,000-$150,000 in a year.
- Trainer – As a trainer, you can make a great amount of money. After spending hours on the road, you can manage time to train new drivers. Besides, you can permanently join as a trainer because now it’s in great demand. You can make up to $60,000-$80,000 a year as a trainer.
- Operating own business – You can run your own business instead of working as an employee. When you have gotten the required experience for becoming an owner-operator you can start your own business.
- Bonus: Apart from regular pay CDL driversget a bonus from their companies. Offers are like-
- Monthly mileage Bonus – Some companies pay extra to drivers because of driving long a distance. You can earn make a handsome amount of money with this monthly mileage bonus.
- Bonus on sign-in – Some companies offer sign-in to attract new truck drivers as well as competing with carriers. The amount can be company wise.
- Fuel competence– When you save fuel it leads a good impression on the carrier that you are a cost-aware truck driver. To appreciate the driver’s effort for reducing fuel use company reward their drivers.
- Safety pay –While driving on highway drivers faces accident or other life risky problems. Carriers offer bonuses for safety out on the highways for driving the truck safely.
- Stopover pay – Sometimes drivers face traffic jams while delivering stuff. This results in a huge tome loss. So, some carriers offer stopover pay for repaying truck drivers for their time loss.
- Hygiene Inspections – Truck must be clean during the time of the Clean Department of Transportation inspections. It is good both for the company and the driver’s image. Some carriers pay their drivers keeping their truck hygienic.
These are the way CDL drivers make money. But you can also make extra money from Specialized Trucking Jobs with Higher like-
- Linehaul and Intermodal Driving Position
Linehaul truckers move LTL freight between terminals. Distance is more than 1,000 miles. Line Haul drivers can earn up to $80,000-$90,000per year.
- Oversized Loads
Handling an overloaded truck is difficult and risky. But if you can do so then you can earn up to $140,000 in a year
- Ice Road Trucking
Handling a truck on an ice road is not a piece of cake. You need experience and skills for doing it. Professional ice road truck drivers can earn up to $30,000 for working just for two or three months.
Benefits of being a truck driver
Benefits are hard to describe but you can earn a good amount of money from this job. Besides, you will get life insurance, medical insurance, job security, etc. Besides, you will have a great experience of traveling to different places.
- Does good trucking pay off?
If your efficient and focused on your job and enough skills for handling a truck then you will pay out your deserving amount.
- How much a professional CDL trucker earns in a year?
The salary varies from company-to-company. But approximately a Skilled CDL driver can get up to $60,000 per year.
Trucking is not an easy profession. You proper skill and training for becoming a top-level truck driver. But before choosing trucking as a profession a common question comes in mind that How much does a CDL Driver make?
Well, nowadays the demand for a professional CDL truck driver is very high. Companies hire skilled drivers at a higher salary and also provide extra facilities. So, choosing trucking as a profession is a good way of earning money with traveling experience.